There is lots going on at Parkdale these days!
Tomorrow, Monday April 30th, will be Spring Photo day.
Thursday, May 3rd,is our school wide Art Exhibit night from 6-7. A newsletter went home last week with more detail of what will be featured.
Please complete the Our School survey this week if you wish to participate in it. A link to the survey went out to parents last week I believe. Grade 4-6 students will be completing the survey in school this week.
The Books for Bikes campaign will be wrapping up this week. Bikes were supposed to be presented on Tuesday, May 1, but this has been delayed as bikes haven’t arrived yet. An email was sent out explaining this and another email will be sent when we have the new date to pick our winners of the bikes!
There will not be any classes this Friday, May4th, as teachers will be attending the Annual General Meeting.
Grade 3’s will be taking part in the Primary Literacy Assessment between the dates of May 14th -25th.
As you know, Parkdale is having a theme week of activities this week. Thursday is
“Bring a game to share” day. Since we are just wrapping up procedural writing (Teaching someone how to do or make or play something), I’d like the students to bring a game to share for Thursday. We will be inviting the other grade 4 class down so we can teach them our games. I’ve asked the students to get permission first and make sure it is a fairly simple, short’ish game (we only have 30 mins.) I am hoping that students are able to take games in tomorrow(Tuesday) or Wednesday so we can practice explaining how to play the games and to go over the steps/rules. If any students need a deck of cards, I have some at school that they can borrow.
Just a reminder that tomorrow is library day for our class. Also, report cards and parent teacher interview times will be coming home tomorrow with your child. Interviews are the night of March 1st and the day of March 2nd (some will be held after school on Feb 27th and 28th as well). If you need to change your interview time, please call Jackie (admin. assistant) to make changes. She will have the master copy. If you ordered cookie dough, the orders will be available for pick-up after school, March 1st and during the day March 2nd. The Scholastic bookfair will also be set up at this time.
We will not have Words Their Way for homework this week. I will start a new sort next week.
Our campaign for Bikes for Books has started. A few students have received ballots so far…but not many! Please remember to have your child fill in the short response when they reach 100 pages! This earns them 1 ballot in the jar and a chance to win a bike in the spring.
Just a reminder that Friday will be Library day for us. Also, it is spelling test day!
Cookie dough orders will be accepted until Feb. 5th. Please send in all orders and money. There are prizes for the top two sellers. As well, any student who sells 6 doughs will be invited to an ice cream sundae party!
A few reminders/new things happening this week:
- Family Literacy day is coming up on Sat., Jan. 27th. In honor of this, we will be doing some literacy activities tomorrow, Fri., Jan. 26th. If the students wish to, they are welcome to bring reading material from home as well as a blanket, a stuffed animal and if they would like they can wear comfy clothes or pj’s. We will spend a lot of time reading throughout the day! I ask that slippers, robes and pillows not be sent. Please make sure that the extra items fit in the child’s schoolbag or an extra bag is sent and ensure that they can pack it themselves at the end of the day.
- Our “Bikes for Books” campaign is now underway. The students attended an assembly yesterday to kick it off. Please see the extra information that is being sent home today. If there are any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.
- We are also beginning a cookie dough fundraiser. The booklet and information will be sent home today with the students.
Just a few things to remember for this week:
- Tuesday, Jan. 23rd is our library day (Day 5). Please return library books so new ones can be checked out.
- Popcorn is still available at lunch time for $1.50.
- We had our first spelling test last Friday. Please look for the spelling homework that is coming home. New words will be given tomorrow (Monday, Jan. 22). Any questions about this, please get in touch with me.
- Many students are coming to school without hats, mitts or a change of clothes (esp. socks!) Please ensure that your child has these things each day. We only have indoor recess if it is below -20.
I hope everyone enjoyed the weekend! Just a reminder for students to return their library books to school tomorrow so they can check out new ones as it is our Library day.
Also there will be a change in homework reading books starting this week. Typically I have sent home a bag of several books (amount of books depended on length and complexity) and requested that a reading log be signed. From now on, the students will be choosing the titles that they take home (still based on their reading level). Since students are choosing, you may see the same books taken home more than once. This is completely fine as once the book is familiar to them, they can work on fluency in reading (how it sounds – using expression, speed, intonation, etc.). I would still like the reading log signed for 15-20 minutes of reading each night.
We will be selling popcorn during lunch for $1.50. There will be 4 different kinds available for students to purchase. (For those that attended the Christmas concert, it is the same popcorn that was sold there.) If possible, please send in exact change with your child.
Tonight is the first night of spelling homework. If there are any questions, feel free to email me at email@example.com